Orca Book Publishers is an independent Canadian children’s book publisher. With 1200 active titles in print and digital formats and 100 new titles each year, we have a growing and successful publishing program. We are looking for a professional, motivated person to join our team. This full-time position is based in our Victoria, BC, office.
- To expand upon our current digital and technical strategies surrounding ebooks, websites, and bibliographic data management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the company in excellent data practices and bring a marketing perspective to data management
- Assist in the transition to ONIX 3.0
- Prepare, distribute and check seasonal data
- Enhance existing data, revisit backlist and refresh metadata for new markets
Website/Online Promotions and Sales
- Work with Marketing team on special website promotions and other activities
Ebooks and Audio Editions
- Manage the conversion of frontlist print titles to digital formats via conversion houses or in-house to achieve simultaneous print and digital release
- Perform quality assurance/proofing of digital book formats, including accessible formats
- Assess the overall quality of backlist ebook files and redevelop as needed
- Provide sales analysis relating to ebooks, audiobooks and online promotions
- Create ebook bundles and other special digital products
- Research new ideas and lead company in new digital endeavors
- Work to further company’s work on accessible and audio books
- Collaborate with all staff in various departments and work through various stages of the publishing process
- Knowledge of bibliographic data management
- Knowledge of Acumen an asset
- Experience with online marketing
- Experience working with Amazon on promotions and general book profiles
- Experience in production of ebooks with basic to intermediate coding experience in the EPUB environment
- An understanding of the book publishing industry
- Word, Excel and other general office software
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- General comfort level with new technology
- Ability to work independently
- Must like dogs and other living things, people included
Orca offers a competitive wage and benefits package and a comfortable working environment.
Orca is an inclusive employer with a passion for books that matter. We are committed to ensuring that young readers see themselves reflected in the books they read. We aim to produce books that illuminate the experiences of people of all ethnicities, people with disabilities and people who identify as LGBTQ+. We have a particular interest in publishing books that celebrate the lives of Indigenous people. Our fiction includes characters from diverse backgrounds and unique family structures, and our global nonfiction celebrates the variety of ways people live and educates readers about important issues. Providing young people with exposure to diversity and the opportunity for social change through reading creates a more compassionate world. We encourage applicants to learn more about us at www.orcabook.com.
Please send resume and cover letter by Nov. 16, 2020 via email to email@example.com. We thank all who apply; only those candidates who are short-listed will be contacted.