The RHS is looking for a high-calibre head of editorial to lead the RHS publishing platforms across print and digital and to drive the editorial vision for the society.
This role will lead the development and delivery of high-quality, innovative output across all RHS publishing platforms: magazines (including The Garden), books, online, guides, podcasts and images.
Reporting into the director of members, editorial and marketing, you will shape the RHS’ editorial content to more than 20 million digital and print readers, visitors and listeners in the UK and beyond, including The Garden magazine which is read by the RHS’ members, making it the largest-circulation gardening magazine in the UK.
Key skills and experience
- Extensive leadership experience in print and digital publishing having worked as the editor/deputy editor on one or more titles.
- Excellent written-word skills and attention to detail, which you can use to guide and inspire a high-performing editorial team to deliver engaging, innovative and accurate content to readers across multiple platforms and with tight deadlines.
- Experience in managing the full process of budgeting, commissioning and delivering a magazine and a digital editorial platform. Experience of books publishing and podcasts is a bonus.
- A deep love of and expertise in gardening and ideally a horticultural or related qualification.
- A strong affinity with the work of the society to improve people’s lives and the environment through plants and gardening.
- Extensive experience in leading and managing teams and working collaboratively with other parts of a complex organisation.
- The ability to move seamlessly between strategic planning, creative brainstorming and attention to detail of delivery to ensure the editorial output of the RHS is of the highest quality, originality and accuracy.
To apply, please click ‘Apply online’ below.
Application closing date 15 September 2020
Flexible location with ability to work from Peterborough circa three days a week, plus working from home / prepared to travel to other RHS sites or events as required.