!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
An update from the Health Minister:
Only 0.29% of COVID-19 patients are on ventilators, 1.93% on ICU & 2.88% of cases are on oxygen support. More than 9 lakh samples were tested in the last 24 hours.
BSF finds Pakistani tunnel
The sandbags have proper markings of Pakistan, which clearly shows that it was dug with proper planning & engineeri… https://t.co/EPDafnSFVl
— ANI (@ANI) 1598692973000
UP Rajya Sabha polls: Nomination papers of BJP leader Syed Zafar filed
CM Yediyurappa to flag off first RORO train from Bengaluru to Solapur tomorrow
New e-market platform launched to bridge gap between Indian farmers and UAE food industry
The UAE has launched Agriota, a new technology-driven agri-commodity trading and sourcing e-market platform that will bridge the gap between millions of rural farmers in India and the Gulf nation’s food industry.
Upon landing in the UAE, all IPL participants have followed a mandatory testing & quarantine programme. Total of 1,988 RT-PCR COVID tests were carried out between August 20th – 28th. 13 personnel have tested positive of which 2 are players
– Board of Control for Cricket in India
A protest will be lodged with Pakistani authorities, asking to take action against the guilty
– Jammu BSF IG NS Jamwal on the recovery of a tunnel in Samba area of Jammu and Kashmir
We were getting input about the existence of a tunnel in Samba area (of Jammu & Kashmir). A special team found the tunnel yesterday
– Jammu BSF IG NS Jamwal
Meghalaya’s COVID-19 tally rises to 2,248
Affordable rental housing complexes included in list of infrastructure sub sectors
- The Centre has included affordable rental housing complexes in the harmonized list of infrastructure sub-sectors.
- The department of economic affairs under the ministry of finance issued a notification earlier this week to this effect.
877 newborns,61 pregnant women die in Meghalaya in last four months: Official
At least 61 pregnant women and 877 newborns have died in Meghalaya in the four months starting from April for want of admission to hospitals and also due to lack of medical attention because of diversion of the health machinery to fight COVID-19 pandemic, a senior health department official said.
Puducherry MLA files plea in SC to stall NEET
On behalf of Puducherry government, we filed a writ petition in SC to stall NEET exam. The case has been filed in my name. The petition will be heard by next week. We hope for a good ruling from the SC which will safeguard the student community: R K R Anantharaman, Puducherry MLA
UAE formally ends Israel boycott amid US-brokered deal
- The ruler of the United Arab Emirates has issued a decree formally ending the country’s boycott of Israel amid a US-brokered deal to normalize relations between the two countries.
- The state-run WAM news agency reported the decree on Saturday, saying it was on the orders of Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the ruler of Abu Dhabi and the Emirates’ leader.
Sushant case: Rhea arrives for CBI questioning for second day
Actress Rhea Chakraborty, who is accused of abetting the suicide of film star Sushant Singh Rajput, reached the DRDO guest house here for the second consecutive day on Saturday for questioning by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), an official said.
Modern technology is helping deal with the challenges related to agriculture. One example of it was how the government used technology to minimize damage caused by locust attack in about 10 States recently
– PM Modi
Financial experts express mixed feelings on RBI’s restructuring package
- The loan restructuring package announced by the Reserve Bank of India evoked mixed reactions from experts in the financial sector, as some found it helpful for the tourism industry, while others described the guidelines of the scheme as “restrictive” to the NBFCs.
- Tourism Finance Corporation of India MD and CEO Anirban Chakraborty said hotels and the hospitality sector are under the MSME segment in the loan restructuring framework of RBI.
- The emergency credit line extended to the borrowers is a good measure to help the sector sustain for the next two years, he said at a webinar organised by Enqube Collaborations on Friday.
Govt implementing several projects to ensure availability of water in drought-prone Bundelkhand region: PM Modi
Jharkhand allows public transport within state; hotels, lodges to reopen in view of JEE/NEET exams
India has controlled spread of locust swarms using modern technologies including drones
– PM Narendra Modi
When we talk about self-reliance in agriculture then it is not limited to self-sufficiency in food grains but encompasses self-reliance of the entire economy of the village
– PM Narendra Modi
West Bengal govt writes to Railway Board, says metro, local train services can be resumed
IIT Kharagpur researchers develop microneedle to administer drug in a painless way
- Researchers at IIT Kharagpur have developed a microneedle which is capable of administering large drug molecules in a painless way, a statement issued by the institute said on Saturday.
- The Institute’s Department of Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering has not only reduced the diameter size of the microneedles but also increased the strength so that they do not break while penetrating the skin, it said.
- The microneedle can be used even in COVID-19 vaccination in future, besides for insulin delivery, the statement said.
Pak set to reopen educational institutions from mid-September as COVID-19 situation improves
DERC’s power tariff for 2020-21 will add to financial challenges of discoms: TPDDL
- The new power tariff announced by the DERC for 2020-21, without any hike in the existing rates, will “substantially increase” the financial “challenges” and “ability” to ensure round-the-clock electricity supply by the discoms in Delhi, a spokesperson of the TPDDL said on Saturday.
- The Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC) announced the new tariff on Friday, saying no hike was considered due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- “Considering the COVID-19 pandemic, the DERC has maintained the tariff at the existing level. However, for the discoms, this tariff order will substantially increase the financial challenges and hence, the ability to ensure 24×7 power supply,” the spokesperson of the Tata Power Delhi Distribution Limited (TPDDL) said.
PM inaugurates Rani Lakshmi Bai Central Agricultural University, Jhansi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates the College and Administration Buildings of Rani Lakshmi Bai Central Agric… https://t.co/MJfT4xfKk3
— ANI (@ANI) 1598685644000
Flood-like situation in 4 C’garh districts, thousands shifted
- Heavy rains battered several parts of Chhattisgarh over the last two days, creating a flood-like situation in some areas of at least four districts and causing rivers, including the Mahanadi, to flow above the danger mark, officials said.
- Nearly 12,000 houses in various districts of the state were partially or completely damaged due to the incessant rainfall and thousands of people were shifted to relief camps, they said.
Chinese, Indians constitute 48% of foreign students in US in 2019: Report
- Chinese and Indians accounted for 48 per cent of all active foreign students in the US in 2019, according to an official report.
- A report on immigration students in US, released on Friday by the Student and Exchange Visitor Programme (SEVP) — a part of the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) — said there were 1.52 million active records in SEVIS for F-1 and M-1 students during calendar year 2019, a 1.7 per cent decrease from 2018.
Jammu-Srinagar NH cleared for stranded vehicles after four days closure
Govt making numerous efforts to popularise sports and support sporting talent
– PM Modi
August receives 25 pc more rainfall; highest in 44 years: IMD
Mumbai police will provide protection to Rhea Chakraborty on CBI’s request
Mumbai police will provide protection to Rhea Chakraborty whenever she commutes from her residence to DRDO guest house. This is being done on the request of Central Bureau of Investigation: Mumbai Police official
Odisha floods: 1.5 lakh people affected across 543 villages
Flood situation continues in several parts of Bhadrak district. Additional District Magistrate, Bhadrak says, “1.5 lakh people are affected across 543 villages in the district that are facing flood situation. Over 3,000 people have been evacuated so far.”
Pranab Mukherjee health update
Former President Pranab Mukherjee is being treated for lung infection. His renal parameters have improved. He continues to be in deep coma and on ventilator support. He remains haemodynamically stable: Army Hospital (R&R), Delhi Cantonment
Suresh Raina pulls out of upcoming IPL, says CSK
Suresh Raina returns to India from UAE 'for personal reasons' and will be unavailable for the remainder of the IPL… https://t.co/Au8yee9GtM
— ANI (@ANI) 1598680595000
President Kovind virtually confers the National Sports and Adventure Awards 2020
President Ram Nath Kovind virtually confers the National Sports and Adventure Awards 2020. https://t.co/f0VZoDoz9y
— ANI (@ANI) 1598680174000
Kiren Rijiju defends govt’s decision to confer Sports Awards to record 74 winners
J-K: Seven terrorists neutralised, one surrendered in last 24 hours
Acting on a specific police input, an operation was launched in Zadoora area of Pulwama district by security forces at 1 am on Saturday in which three terrorists were neutralised. A soldier, who was critically injured in the encounter succumbed to his injuries, according to a Public Relations Officer of Defence, Srinagar. Incrimination materials including arms and ammunition were seized from the encounter site.
Malaysia extends ban on foreign tourists
Malaysia has extended its pandemic movement restrictions including a ban on foreign tourists until the end of the year.
Hockey veterans to attend the National Sports Award Ceremony
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Awardee Rani Rampal, who is also Captain of Indian Women’s Hockey Team & Arjuna Awardee, Hockey player Akashdeep Singh leave for Sports Authority of India (SAI) Centre in Bengaluru to attend the National Sports Award Ceremony that is being held virtually.
Trump to head to Louisiana as Hurricane Laura cleanup starts
The U.S. toll from the Category 4 hurricane stood at 14 deaths, with more than half of those killed by carbon monoxide poisoning from the unsafe operation of generators. President Donald Trump plans on Saturday to tour the damage in Louisiana and neighbouring Texas.
Pandemic reinforced need to be physically fit, mentally strong
– M Venkaiah Naidu on National Sports Day
Kamala Harris pledges to rejoin the Paris Climate agreement and re-enter Iran nuke deal if voted to power
Uttarakhand BJP Chief Bansidhar Bhagat tests positive for COVID19
UP Congress leader demands expulsion of Ghulam Nabi Azad from party
Congress leader Naseeb Pathan in Uttar Pradesh on Friday said the party should expel Ghulam Nabi Azad who is among 23 signatories to a letter which called for an overhaul of the organisation.
Indian heritage WWII spy Noor Inayat Khan gets honoured with blue plaque in London
Telangana reports 2.7K Covid-19 cases, recovery still lower than national average
Will FM answer how to describe mismanagement of economy before pandemic
– P Chidambaram
Single-day spike of 76,472 infections, 1,021 fatalities push India’s COVID-19 caseload to 34,63,972, death toll to 62,550: Health Ministry
Party election to pick PM Abe’s successor around Sept. 15, media say
Today, on National Sports Day, we pay tributes to Major Dhyan Chand, whose magic with the hockey stick can never be forgotten. This is also a day to laud the outstanding support given by the families, coaches and support staff towards the success of our talented athletes
– PM Narendra Modi
The water level of Yamuna River recorded at Delhi’s Old Yamuna Bridge was 204.26 metres at 8 am today
Three militants, one soldier killed in encounter in J-K’s Pulwama
Prize money on sports awards to be increased: Kiren Rijiju
We’ve taken a decision to increase prize money for sports & adventure awards. Prize money for sports awards has already been increased. Prize money for Arjuna Award & Khel Ratna Award has been increased to Rs 15 lakhs & Rs 25 lakhs respectively: Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju
Odisha: Examination cities to remain free from lockdown
There will be no lockdown or shutdown in force in the examination cities in Odisha from 30th August and 7th September and from 12th September and 14th September: State Government
Pulwama encounter update:
One soldier who was critically injured has succumbed to his injuries in an encounter that started last night in Zadoora area of Pulwama. Joint operation in progress: PRO Defence, Srinagar
Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman dies of cancer at 43
China’s Wuhan says all schools to reopen on Tuesday
Pulwama encounter update
3 unidentified terrorists killed. Search going on. Further details shall follow: Kashmir Zone Police
UP Govt will name a road after Chetan Chauhan: Deputy CM Keshav Prasad Maurya
Chinese researcher arrested in US on charges of stealing trade secrets
Haizhou Hu, 34, is charged with accessing a computer without authorization, or exceeding authorization to obtain information from a protected computer and theft of trade secrets, Justice Department said in a release. (Reports ANI)