The SUBSTATION presents a curated program of contemporary, experimental art by local, national and international artists in our distinctive multi-artform spaces.
Working with artists from across disciplines, in non-traditional modes, we create opportunities for audiences to experience the best contemporary and experimental arts and participate in an inspired, critical dialogue about our world. The SUBSTATION promotes the creation and presentation of experimental art and ideas from across art forms, from the deeply personal to the universal, from Newport to the rest of Australia.
The Company Manager reports to the Executive Producer and provides essential administration support across our entire program and operations. Although challenging times with COVID-19, this role has been introduced at an exciting point in The SUBSTATION’S development as a distinctive Melbourne presenting hub. For the right candidate, there is potential for the role to expand and develop alongside the organisation’s expected growth in the coming years and to contribute meaningfully to our small, dedicated team.
The SUBSTATION is committed to building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills and creates an inclusive environment for all employees. We strongly urge diverse applicants to apply or contact us for further discussion about this role
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- 5 days, 38 hours per week
- $55,000 per annum plus superannuation
- 4 weeks annual leave and 10 days sick/ personal leave per annum
- Reports to: Executive Producer
- Coordinate the day-to-day operations of the office and studio
- Respond to enquiries from public and stakeholders
- Arrange and coordinate venue function for events such as capacities, room configurations, in-house furniture usage, green rooms, staging and regulate OH&S compliance.
- Support the Executive Producer to service the board through the collation of papers and monitoring compliance requirements, and attendance and minute-taking at all Board meetings
- Do all Basic bookkeeping/data entry for accounts in XERO
- Support the coordination of volunteers and residencies
- Support fundraising activities and donor relationship management
- Participate in planning via company and staff meetings, and strategic planning reviews
Commercial and Community
- Respond to venue hire enquiries in a timely manner and provide information on services and equipment available at The SUBSTATION.
- Meet with clients to discuss their needs and outline additional requirements and options to meet these needs.
- Liaise with the Executive Producer to create venue hire contracts.
- Arrange and coordinate services such as standard building facilities, in-house furniture usage, room configurations, catering and audio-visual equipment.
- Increase revenue through strategic implementation and management of all venue hire, commercial activities and bar operations.
- Identify and cultivate new hirers.
- Manage the sale of tickets to performances and events.
- Liaise with the Front of House Supervisor about ticketing requirements and capacities for events.
- Field phone and email enquiries for ticket sales.
- Liaise with co-presenters regarding allocation of tickets and capacities.
- Provide regular ticket sales reports to the Executive Producer and other stakeholders as required.
- Compile guest lists and invitations for The SUBSTATION’s openings and events.
- Identify new opportunities for income growth through the program and for the organisation
- Support the coordination of venue spaces including hires, contractors, equipment, and maintenance
- With the Production Manager, develop floor plans and run sheets for all non-artistic program events and ensure smooth running of such events.
Due to the nature of the organisation, work outside of normal hours is expected. This may include evenings and weekends. From time to time, other duties outside the scope of this position description may also be required.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in an arts and/or administration context
- Strong administrative ability and attention to detail, with experience providing support in a busy office environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to engage with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Confidence with Mac operating system and office systems including databases, shared calendars, and the Microsoft Office Suite (Word and Excel), Dropbox, Airtable and XERO
- Demonstrated capacity for effective time-management, problem-solving, and working collaboratively in a small team
- Strong sense of initiative and ability to work independently
- Knowledge of The SUSBSTATION and its program
- Willingness to learn and grow within the position
- Interest and knowledge of the contemporary arts
- Experience with financial administration (eg Xero) and/or cash handling
Applications must include, in one PDF document emailed to email@example.com:
• A short cover letter • 2 pages maximum responding to the key selection criteria and job description • A CV that includes contact details for 2 current referees.
DEADLINE: 5pm, Friday 28th August 2020
INTERVIEW: Tuesday 31st August 2020
START DATE: 21st September OR 28th September 2020 (working from home/ virtually until government regulations allow otherwise.)
Please do not hesitate to contact Executive Producer, Michaela Coventry with any enquiries regarding this position