Switching jobs? Here’s how you can update your employment exit date in EPFO account
- Unless an employee exits an EPF account, they can neither transfer the balance to another EPF account nor withdraw the full amount
New Delhi: In order to make life of its subsceribers easier, Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) ‘date of exit’ facility on the EPFO portal earlier this year. The facility allows people to update exit date online after changing jobs. Earlier, EPF account holders were dependent on their ex-employers to declare the date of exit since the facility was not available online.
However, EPFO subscribers can now easily update exit date online after changing jobs. If you are an account holder with the EPFO and want to update your date of exit of the previous employment, you can easily do it online.
Here is a step-by step guide to update exit date in EPFO account online:
- Visit the unified portal and log in with your UAN ID and
- Go to the ‘Manage’ and click ‘Mark Exit’
- Choose PF account number from ‘Select Employment’ dropdown.
- Enter the date of exit along with the reason of exit.
- Click on ‘request OTP’ option and enter OTP which is received on your registered mobile number.
- Select the checkbox and click update and then click ‘Ok’.
You will then get a message stating that the date of exit has been updated successfully. Once it is done, you can go to “View” and “Service History” where you will be shown the date of joining and exit from both EPF and EPS. You cannot mark your date of exit before two months of leaving the company.
Earlier, several EPF subscribers had complained that their previous employers are not co-operating in declaring the date of exit on EPFO portal, so this facility will be beneficial for them.
Note that if you do not have a UAN or have not received it yet from your employer, you can generate it online without much difficulty. In order to so, you need to ensure that the organization you work for, is registered with the EPFO. For those who are not aware, UAN is a 12 digit number allotted to every employee registered with the retirement fund body.
How to generate UAN?
- Go the UAN Portal https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- Click on the tab ‘Know your UAN Status’ and a ‘Know Your UAN’ page will appear.
- Select your state and EPFO office from the dropdown menu
- Enter your PF number/member ID along with the other details such as your name, date of birth, mobile number and captcha code. (Your PF number/member ID will be mentioned in your salary slips)
- Enter the tab ‘Get Authorization Pin’.
- You will receive a PIN on your mobile number.
- Enter the PIN and click on the ‘Validate OTP and get UAN’ button.
It is worth mentioning that if your date of exit is not marked correctly, your employment might not be treated as continuous and you might be asked to pay a tax on the interest earned during the intervening period.