A Sangudo woman with the idea to open a consignment store made the decision to do it after receiving an extremely positive response on social media.
Jill Dewdney will be opening The Closet and Nook in Sangudo on July 7.
“My slogan is a little bit of everything,” she said. “It’s mostly consignment clothing but it’s also going to be a little bit of a last-minute gift shop.”
Dewdney ended up with a large space in a building on 50th Street where she operates the Keep Me Journal, a community newspaper. She only needed an office but the owners of the building asked if she’d manage the health and wellness store they plan to open in it. As part of managing their store, the owners gave her a large space in the building.
She was wondering what to use the space for when the idea of a consignment store came to mind. Dewdney wanted to know if local residents would support the idea so she posted on social media to get feedback.
“Everyone loved the idea. They thought it was a great idea,” she said.
All day she kept getting notifications of people commenting in favour of the idea.
“My phone exploded.”
Her husband finally asked her to turn off her phone because the notifications didn’t stop.
“Within 24 hours we knew we were opening a consignment store.”
The Closet and Nook will initially offer children’s and women’s clothing, with men’s clothing to be added in a few weeks. The store will offer both new and used items and Dewdney said she already has a good selection that includes designer brands such as Lulu Lemon.
In addition to clothing, the store will sell belts, purses, jewelry, ties and shoes. Dewdney is also going to be selling gift items, offer helium balloon arrangements, cards, gift wrapping and will offer a satellite dry cleaning service.
“I chose to open in Sangudo because I believe this town has potential,” said Dewdney. “I believe there are things the people of Sangudo need and I’m hoping to provide those services.”
Out of her newspaper office she also offers business services such as emailing, faxing and can design posters and advertisements.
Anyone who wants to bring in items for consignment can contact Dewdney for an appointment. The sales will be split with the store taking 30 per cent of sale prices and the remaining 70 per cent to the seller.
“If you have stuff you were just going to give away, why not let me make money for you?”
The Closet and Nook will be open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
To make an appointment to drop off consignment items call Dewdney at 780-785-2924 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.